Thursday, February 05, 2009

yoga

I'm seven days in now to a daily yoga practice. Boy, do I feel fabulous! I finally got all the great props I need to aid the poses -bolsters, blocks, strap, blankets- I'm working through "yoga a gem for women" by Geeta Iyengar. I've been a student of Iyengar yoga for over 12 years, but hadn't practiced in a couple of years, and I've never done a daily practice, and I never had the props at home to encourage me. So, now I start this amazing journey... great thing is that already I'm feeling stronger in my lower back, which is really helping me at the piano. I'm working on a technically difficult piece that historically I've been tensing up while playing, and lately have been more at ease while playing, but last night I made it through the entire piece with almost no tension, and it felt really easy! I could really feel my back holding me up.

On Monday night I returned to my original yoga teacher... I had studied with him for 7 years I think, but hadn't seen him in 5 or so. Since I moved I'm now about 25 minutes from his studio... and I can tell you that as soon as I saw him and heard his voice, I felt like I was home. Every time he talked us through the poses and the affirmation he gave during the holding of them felt so comfortable and familiar, and wonderful! It's great to be back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yoga is really good for health. It will give fitness and it will improve your confidence level.
piano lessons